Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Recipe Time - Simple Cabbage Palya





Cabbage is a vegetable that is available all through the year here in Singapore, and the quality that you get her is excellent. Even when there are no other vegetables available, we'll always find fresh cabbage ! So much so that R brings home cabbage every week.....when I start complaining about too much cabbage, he stops bringing it for a week, but then its back to cabbage the week after. Though can't say I blame him..as I said, this veggie is available all the time !
I keep trying various ways to use cabbage...from paratha, to kofta, to cabbage rice, to soup, to sambhar..and even muthias (though I'm not a Gujju :)). One evening, after a tiring day at work, I raided my fridge to see what I can prepare quickly for dinner. And sure enough, sitting in our veggie tray was the unexciting cabbage. Too tired to go out and get something else, I decided I'll make a simple cabbage palya, though without the usual "palya pudi" or curry powder that we use normally. Just with 3 to 4 ingredients, this palya turned out to be a keeper ...so much so that, nowadays R brings cabbage so that I can specifically make this palya :))
Here's what's needed :
- Finely chopped cabbage -3 cups (this reduces in size once cooked)
- Grated ginger - 3 tbsp
- Green Chillies - 2 -3 chopped as preferred
- Salt to taste
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
-Jeera - 1 tsp
Method :
- Heat oil in a kadai and add in jeera. When it splutters, add the ginger and green chillies and saute it for sometime. Then add in the cabbage and a little water and allow the cabbage to cook till done. Alternatively, the cabbage can be cooked in the microwave for 3 - 4 mintues till done. I did it this way. Once the cabbage cooks, add salt and lime juice and tada...that's it. Can garnish with coriander.
What is good about this is the combination of ginger with cabbage - it's really an unusual, yet wonderful taste. R and I loved it !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one !

Lakshmi said...

Are you still blogging?

Indi Cook said...

LG : Just thinking of restarting again..!